Saturday, June 8, 2019

Giornale #2 - Stadium of Domitian

The museum which holds the Stadium of Domitian is unassuming to the eye. I had walked
past the entranceway a couple times already, never even suspecting that I was standing
on top of such immense history.


After purchasing a ticket, I descended down the stairs and walked straight into antiquity. I saw
arches and full structures from the original stadium, old art everywhere, and signs teaching
me more than I ever thought I’d know about a single building from nearly 2,000 years ago. I
felt like I myself was a Roman in imperial times.


As someone who has been fascinated by classics essentially my entire life, this experience
was far from usual. The closest to full immersion that I had ever before felt could be found
in novels inserting ancient mythology into the world that I knew, like reading Percy Jackson
as a little kid. For the first time, in the Stadium of Domitian, practically alone among the ruins,
I felt like I was the one being transported through time.


Though we were technically in a museum, because I was surrounded by original walls, it
felt so much more immersive than that. To be able to touch the brick as I passed by felt unreal,
I was in awe at the size and the stature of these artifacts that had survived for so long.


One part that struck me in particular was a set of stairs, surrounded by two walls, leading
to an archway. The fact that this piece of the stadium, which I assumed to be an entrance
to the seating for the events, had survived for so long together was miraculous to me. Though
there was a large hole in the middle of the steps, the fact that these weren’t fragmented
otherwise came as a shock to me. Staring at these steps, I was able to lose myself in
wonder.

I wondered who walked these exact stairs so many years ago, wondering if they would ever
think that students two thousand years in the future would be thinking about them. I could
see myself, walking through ancient Rome, through the crowds in the stadium, on my way
to see a wrestling match or a foot race. I imagined the people I would see, emperors, priests,
vestal virgins, and common folk coming together to celebrate athletics, in the same ways that
we do today for sporting events.

I had only visited this museum a few days into the trip, I wasn’t used to being able to have
such a thorough experience with the pieces. To be able to look upon the stairs that the
emperor Domitian had ordered to be built in the year 80 CE, not just a model or an image
online… I felt like I was dreaming. I had no idea what would be in store for me for the rest of
this trip, nor the feelings that I could experience while walking amongst magnificent structures
I had treated for so long like vocabulary words. The Stadium of Domitian was only the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giornale #3- Santa Maria in Trastevere

Like a camera in a movie my eyes panned up from the sidewalk, to the magnificent elephant obelisk by Bernini, to the enchanting golden sh...