Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Ekphrasis #1

How many times can a girl read
the story of the shield of Achilles?
Reborn in the shield of Aeneas,
in foundational stories yet to unfold,
yet destined to be led by men,
she is bored.

Give me the shield of Minerva.
To the gods, I beg:
for the story of womankind,
the women who suffered
in the founding of this beautiful city,
the women who were not allowed to fight
but instead had to sit and weave and wait;

Minerva does not have bounds,
goddess of weaving and wisdom in battle,
women's crafts and warcraft cannot be so far apart,
and perhaps, like the goddess, they can reside within a woman together.

What is on Minerva's shield, I can only guess,
for no epic will explain it to me.
I see the cosmos in a four pointed star,
our Earth in the center, the heavens surrounding,
created by the untold stories of women around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giornale #3- Santa Maria in Trastevere

Like a camera in a movie my eyes panned up from the sidewalk, to the magnificent elephant obelisk by Bernini, to the enchanting golden sh...