Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Voyeur #1 (reposted)

An unknown figure with an unknown purpose walks across Piazza San Pietro: a spy.
Head tucked down, hidden away from the sun by a large, patterned scarf, as if to hide
in plain sight- however, her bold look and desperate fast walk made her stand out to me.

The spy walked with fervor towards a the colonnade, desperate to remain unseen, but

she failed. I saw her, but I do not think that she saw me. However, the question remains:
why was she there? What business did she have in the Vatican? With the Pope? With
the people of Rome?

Perhaps she was on a mission to steal the keys to the kingdom of Heaven, or perhaps

Saint Peter’s remains? Perhaps an assassination attempt, or perhaps simply on a search
for lost faith?

Whatever her business there was, she was undercover, attempting desperately to blend

in with the crowd of tourists. Immediately, though the look was bold, I could tell they
weren’t your stereotypical American tourist; no brand-name tee shirts, no “jorts”, no
swinging selfie sticks. Instead, she immediately caught my eye with a pair of black &
white intricately patterned leggings, paired with a red sweatshirt, as well as the blue
and red floral headscarf, paired with black socks and navy athletic sandals.

As I watched her, I could tell that though I may never know what exactly she came

to the Vatican for, her business here was done. Scattering a crowd of pigeons with
her steps, before briskly speed-walking through a crowd of tourists towards the exit,
and, without exposing her identity, out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giornale #3- Santa Maria in Trastevere

Like a camera in a movie my eyes panned up from the sidewalk, to the magnificent elephant obelisk by Bernini, to the enchanting golden sh...