Thursday, May 30, 2019

Momentary Blindness #2

There’s something magical about sun-showers to me, there always has been. To feel the
warmth of the sun on my skin mixed with the soothing sounds of raindrops on the sidewalk
is such a soothing sensation, and to feel that atop the Palatine Hill, surrounded by such
dense history, feels unlike any other.

I hear pebbles in the walkway shuffling under people’s feet, and the leaves of the orange
trees rustling in the gentle breeze. Small clicks of the pebbles under pigeons’ little feet or
the frantic scattering under the feet of a running puppy amuse me compared to the heavy
steps of humans. I hear a family pushing a stroller with a kid running alongside it in the
distance.

Water drips onto my head from the tree that I’m sitting under. I’m sitting on my raincoat so
that the soaked wood of the bench can’t soak through to me, but that means I can’t cover
my head. I stop taking notes in my notebook, as I’m afraid it’ll get wet, switching over to
Google Docs on my phone.


Another breeze strikes the tree I’m under, causing more rain to fall on me from the leaves,
the clouds move to cover the sun, and suddenly I’m cold. Though I should probably fear
sunburn more than I do, I miss feeling the sun on my skin when it goes away. I sit in the
shade, wasting my jacket for a seat rather than bundling up against the wind, but regardless
I am comfortable. I am serene, and I am at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Giornale #3- Santa Maria in Trastevere

Like a camera in a movie my eyes panned up from the sidewalk, to the magnificent elephant obelisk by Bernini, to the enchanting golden sh...